Water Department


Water Bills

If you do not receive a water bill by the first week of September, please contact Darren in the Water Department for a duplicate bill.  Postmarks are not honored.  Failure to receive a bill does not waive past due penalties. For your convenience, there is a drop box located at the rear entrance of City Hall for payments made after 5:00 P.M.  Payments left in the drop box will be credited the next business day.  Please allow seven days when mailing your payment.

Remember water bills are due by 5:00 p.m. on the due date

Please contact the water department at 248-541-2901 with any questions.

2015 Consumers Annual Report on Water Quality

2013 Consumers Annual Report on Water Quality


Water Service Interruptions

If you have interruptions in or problems with your water service, please call City Hall at 248-541-2901 during regular business hours, or the Police Department at 248-541-2900 on nights and weekends and the City will forward your issue. The City of Royal Oak provides water system maintenance for Pleasant Ridge on a contract basis.